Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 09:36:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: fractal dates ?  (Read 7248 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« on: January 12, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »

ok, i came to the point to include - if i do another one - fractal dates, and this board is meant for collecting dates, perhaps you can help me,
collecting those dates...

- death of benoit mandelbrot
- birth of benoit mandelbrot
- publication of "how long is the coastline of england ?"
- first encounter of the mandelbulb
- first encounter of the mandelbox
- fractalforums goes online ( hard to recover ... )

who knows more dates related to fractals ?!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »

Birthdays for Julia, Lorenz, and maybe even Barnsley and all the rest in that group.

Publication of The Fractal Geometry of Nature.

Harder to track, but the date of the introduction of Fractal Antennas to the market, and the date Mandelbrot printed out that first image of the Mandelbrot Set  (I think it was mentioned in one of those fractal documentaries I found).

And why not the dates for the Annual Competition here?   afro

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:05:38 PM »

Sure ff dates will be included as well butmore than start and deadline we dont have

---

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »

Great idea Christian, always nice to have something to celebrate... it would be nice as a theme for image-postings...

Well, the "birth" of the Mandelbulb should be 2007-11-17, this is the post Daniel White links to from his skytopia site:
http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/true-3d-mandlebrot-type-fractal/msg4109/#msg4109

Or should it be the first render? Because that didn't happen until the end of 2009 (which you of course knew already...  afro )
But I am not sure who and when was first with the P8 render, have to go through that looong thread...

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 07:58:22 PM »

yea, lets search and collect the dates here in this thread, i start with:

LET US MARK THE DATES IN THE TEXT WITH: [DATE] for searching the database later in the year to find those dates when i set up the next years one

[DATE]
Benoît B. Mandelbrot
* 20. November 1924
 â€  14. Oktober 2010

coastline of britain:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/156/3775/636
Science 5 May 1967
[/DATE]

i think the first render of the bulb was done by lycium, as he entered it in one of the earliest annual compos held by this forum.... and so the first rendering was then published on 1st May 2008 wink
right after i overtook this forum!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:01:57 PM by cKleinhuis » Logged

---

Power 8
Conqueror

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:09:53 AM »

How about birth of Fractal Forums?  cheesy
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 08:21:42 PM »

noone else want to take part?

i've got two less important dates from fractal history:

[DATE]October 2, 1987 - barnsley and sloan applied the first patent for fractal image compression (ok, it's the first i found)[/DATE]
[DATE]July 10, 1990 - us patent 4,941,193 was issued for "methods and apparatus for image compression by iterated function system"[/DATE]

source: http://patents.justia.com/1990/04941193.html

the side story:
this patent is an important reason, fractal image compression never got relevant. barnsley and sloan were too greedy (my interpretation  Yes !!). they didn't license their later developed fif image format in order to sell their own software to create such fif images. but not enough were inerested  No !!! and so this format never were implemented in netscape and ie. today only the elder may remember this quite promising image format.

@christian: did i get it right?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:43:26 PM by taurus66 » Logged

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:06:53 AM »

wonderful, thx i would count in the fractal antenna patent., that is really used nowadays

---

taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:05:01 PM »

wonderful, thx i would count in the fractal antenna patent., that is really used nowadays

this is really funny grin. a little investigation about patents related to fractal antennas (hard without en.wikipedia educated) led me back to ...
http://www.fractalforums.com/fractal-news-across-the-world/fractus-key-fractal-antenna-patent-granted/
from here, the rest was easy:

January 21, 2005 first patent (i found) for minature (fractal) antennas was applied (see source for the list of inventors)
August 22, 2006 us patent 7095372 was issued for "integrated circuit package including miniature antenna"

should be confirmed, when wikipedia is online again...
it is one, but way not the first!

source: http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7095372/description.html

the first fractal antenna was built much earlier in 1988 by Nathan Cohen, but i can't figure out the date head banging wall
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:05:40 AM by taurus66 » Logged

taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:13:41 AM »

so this should be the right one:

[date]August 9, 1995 Nathan Cohens patent application for fractal antennas was filed[/date]
[date]September 17, 2002 us patent 6452553 was issued for "fractal antennas and fractal resonators"[/date]

source: http://www.google.com/patents?vid=6452553

cheesy

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »

i dont want to over-crowd the dates, but between 30 and 100 dates should be in the calendar wink

some more:

- lorentz attractor found ( when he was running his weather simulator )
- at&t chaotic electronic waves in the line ( researched by benoit m mandelbrot )
- first feigenbaum ( lsystem ) formulation
- birth of julia ( in my eyes gaston julia has rewarded an annotation, because, everytime we talk about fractals, in the second sentence the word comes over to "julia" )
- birth of fractalforums ( hard to recover, but should be doable )
- overtaken of me of the forums ( april 2008 )
- annual compo start
- annual compo end
- perhaps seeding time for romanescou broccoli ?  ( love that vegetable, took saw some really nice broccolis last year in the organic store! )
- formulation of perlin noise ( this one i really love because it is an easy way to produce cloud like structures that can be used for many things, e.g. landscapes, although i am aware that it isnt the up-to-date method ... i loved the perlin noise whenever i implemented it )

---

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »

Might be fun to try and track down the dates of the first releases of FractInt, UltraFractal, ChaosPro, Chaoscope, Apophysis, Fractal Extreme, Mutatorkammer ( tease ), Mandelbulber, Mandelbulb3D, and any other significant bits of software deemed worthy of inclusion.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 12:44:32 PM »

Might be fun to try and track down the dates of the first releases of FractInt, UltraFractal, ChaosPro, Chaoscope, Apophysis, Fractal Extreme, Mutatorkammer ( tease ), Mandelbulber, Mandelbulb3D, and any other significant bits of software deemed worthy of inclusion.
tried this for fractint recently, without success. for most events you easily find a year - but almost never a date...

one patent related to fractals i still have to offer (can't help)

[date]December 1, 1998 us patent 5842937 issued for "golf ball with surface texture defined by fractal geometry"[/date]
 rolling on floor laughing head batting rolling on floor laughing

source: http://www.ptodirect.com/Results/Patents?query=PN/5842937

taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 11:52:13 PM »

heeelllp, i can't stop... please!
i wish i were that busy as collegian  wink

[date]
january 7, 1963 edward lorenz finished the revised form of "deterministic nonlinear flow" where he first described the so called lorenz attractor. it was published in march 1963 in "journal of the atmospheric sciences" (volume 20, issue 2). as a monthly publication there were no exact date available.
[/date]
source: http://samizdat.cc/lib/pflio/lorenz-1963.pdf

as a side product of investigation
[date]
april 12, 1999 warwick tucker's work "the lorenz attractor exists" was accepted as a proof, that the lorenz attractor is a strange attractor.
[/date]
yes, 36 years after lorenz' publication and not 13 years ago!!!
source: http://www2.math.uu.se/~warwick/main/papers/comptes.pdf

i think it's up to you now  crazy

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 06:03:58 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm Jase, the site's creator, here is a little about myself.

My passion on this site is to bring people together to share views; ideas and experiences.  It would be fantastic if someday a groundbreaking fractal discovery was made on this site. Until then I hope that all FractalForum.com site users interact and have fun and really gain something from the site.  So far I have found a few very talented individuals who also care passionately about sharing knowledge and am enthused that we can get a good community established here.

LOL... here is a clue.  Time to search for the oldest messages, although this one is after Dr. Wisenhimer bought the domain name.  Don't know if the first message is the first of the new forum style..  or what.  Gonna find "topic=1.msg1"...

Earliest valid message is from "administrator", who happens to be Jason Henegan of Jaycatech. 

It's from April 19, 2006.  That's 9 days after the domain was first registered on April 10, 2006. 

So there ya go, the domain names BDay is April 10th, although the forum might not have been up and kicking for a week or so. 

Here is the link to the earliest "valid"** message on the forum.   

** readable by a non-administrator non-moderator... perhaps cKleinhuis or maybe even a global mod can check the first 2 test messages for the dates?  They are apparently locked from public view, or perhaps they have been deleted...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:14:49 AM by M Benesi » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: