yFractalExplorerA Tribute to Fractint and Benoit Mandelbrot
I am proud to present you the alpha version of my realtime fractal rendering tool that i called yFractalExplorer.
After finishing my ASCII game engine i came across a small piece of Code
that rendered a Mandelbrot fractal
and zoomed into it in old school Text Mode
. I also wanted to try it out with my own engine and so my biggest project began :). I had the idea to create a minimalistic and unique tool to discover the beauty of math. The user should not need any math knowledge and the Fractal that is drawn had to be rendered in realtime so everyone could modify it easily and see how it changes to another shape smoothly. I integrated two display/operating modes into the program to achieve my tasks: Explore Mode
In "Explore Mode" you "fly" around and modify the current fractal in realtime until its looks interesting for you:Render Mode
In "Render Mode" you see how the final fractal looks like, you can change the color palette, cycle the colors (beware not to fall asleep:)), render it to a file or set as your desktop wallpaper:Features
- Unique "Random Fractals" that provide almost infinite number of shapes out of a single fractal type. You will never see the same fractal again. This is a feature that most other fractal tools do not provide
- Lovely self-made Text Mode simulation engine with intuitive user interface. There are plenty of options to customize the Text Mode for all nostalgic nerds out there
- Fast OpenGL rendering pipeline with hardware acceleration to ensure exploring the beautiful world of math (mostly) at 60 frames per second in Fullscreen.
- 145 cool palettes imported from Fractint
to color the fractals with
- Psychedelic realtime color cycling, this is also a function that is rarely found in other fractal tools
- Write to file-function to render huge image files that can be later printed out in perfect quality
- Create unique and beautiful wallpapers with a single keystroke
- Full keyboard support (optimized for both laptops and PC's) and additional mouse support for better usability
- No ads and other bull****, free mindware
This is how it looks like in action:
You can download it at my Forums (http://yv3.bplaced.net/forum/index.php?topic=53.msg54#msg54
) or directly from http://yv3.bplaced.net/files/yFractalExplorer.exeEnjoy
Pls share your opinions and suggestions with me.
Make sure you install it to a folder with admin rights on Vista an Win7 (sorry, better installer will come soon).
More functions and fractals will come in release version 1.0. Watch out!
Fixed problems with Windows XP (error messages regarding missing DLL's should not appear anymore), added two new Fractals and fixed some smaller things